Church Lane, East Mersea, CO5 8T
A wonderfully light and airy church, warm and welcoming, where Ruth and Martin Dence and their team prepare the most delicious eats after the concert.
East Mersea Parish church, dedicated to St Edmund, was where the Rev. Sabine Baring Gould (author of hymns including 'Onward Christian Soldiers' and 'Now the day is over' as well as 'Mehalah' a local story of violence and tragedy) was Rector from 1870-1881.
St. Edmunds church is built of local flint and is situated in Church Lane. It is 600 years old and it took 200 years to build. During the Catholic period a tower was built with 5 bells but now only one remains. The door to the tower is unusual in having three locks. It is thought locally that it was used for smuggling in the 17th century as the three keys were held by different people. The family box-pews have been replaced by chairs made by a local craftsman which can seat up to 80 people.